Since very beginning of our project in June 2020, there was an understanding that to keep our project going we need to be generating a proper attention to attract correct audience. So it was decided to use a buoyant gas (Hydrogen) to develop a flying machine in a shape of a balloon to demonstrate some basic laws of physics. Initial steps started with plastic bags, but the final goal was set to release a 6m3 size Mylar balloon, which was achieved on 7th March 2021.
Project stretched almost 9 months and we’ve learned and achieved a lot:
- Design 3D envelopes from 2D material
- Precise cutting and gluing
- Working with large sheets of material (60m x 1.2m)
- Pressure testing and envelope fixing
- Multiple pressure valve designs and their installation
- How to build a stable Hydrogen Generator
- How to build and design Beacon
- Improve material cutting with CNC laser-cutter
- Get better materials for envelope (100um PolyUrethane)
- Improve gluing technique with ultra-sound-assisted thermal welding
Our balloon development process has been captured in following posts:
IT’S … BLIMPY!
ADEUS LITTLE GUY!
RELEASE THE BLIMPER!
HOW TO GLUE A … SPHERE
BALLOON MK. I
BLIMP III RELEASE PREPS FOR SUN 7 MARCH 2021
5, 4, 3, 2, 1 .. LIFT OFF!