Vectoring Thruster project got launched back in March 2021 its aim was to provide our blimp with vertical and horizontal stabilisers directing the thrust from its EDFs to serve as rudders and elevators.
Project started with a simple 3D design of a cylindrical vectoring thruster in OpenSCAD and evolved in a very stable ball design providing good results, while supporting quick service and simple maintenance. Design also allows product production in numbers with confidence.
Project stretched over several months and finished with all initial goals were met:
- Numerous thruster configurations designed and tested under different thrust and power conditions
- A testing rig got designed to measure angular powers it generates
- PLA and ABS materials were tested for printing and print stability (ABS selected)
- Thruster design got parameterised to allow its quick changes and production
- ABS smoothing technique with Acetone got implemented to improve internal air flow
- Understanding of Servos and how they operate (calibration sequence, limits, orientation, power requirements)
- Product maintenance plan and replacement parts
- UART Interaction between Arduino -> Servo
- Design stability under a thrust and its responsiveness
- 3D vectoring thruster
Vectoring Thruster development process has been captured in following posts: